Autopsy Indicates Maine Gunman Survived During Extensive Manhunt

by Gabriel Martinez
Maine mass shooting

The military reservist responsible for the fatal shootings at a Lewiston bowling alley and bar was presumed to have been alive for a considerable duration of the extensive two-day manhunt that ensued. This search operation prompted community-wide lockdowns, as stated by findings from the Maine medical examiner’s office.

According to the autopsy report, Robert Card succumbed to a self-inflicted gunshot wound, which occurred approximately eight to 12 hours prior to the discovery of his remains. This information was released on Friday, a week subsequent to locating his body at a recycling facility owned by a former employer.

Following the events of October 25, where 18 individuals lost their lives and another 13 sustained injuries, residents in the surrounding localities of Lewiston were compelled to remain indoors as numerous law enforcement officials conducted a thorough search for Card. After fleeing the scene, Card’s vehicle was later discovered deserted at a waterfront in a nearby municipality.

Criticism has been directed at law enforcement for not locating Card sooner, with the assumption that his demise occurred shortly after the attacks and his remains were missed in initial search efforts.

However, the estimated time of death provided by Dr. Mark Flomenbaum, the chief medical examiner, implies that Card, aged 40, could have been alive and evading capture for over 24 hours subsequent to the shootings.

The determination of the exact time of death is complicated by a post-mortem cardiac condition noted by the medical examiner’s office, which impacted the distribution of blood in Card’s body, making the timing less precise, as explained by Lindsey Chasteen, an administrator with the examiner’s office in Augusta.

A representative from the state police declined to comment on the matter on Friday.

These revelations coincided with President Jose Biden and the first lady’s visit to Lewiston to express condolences and solidarity with the affected families. President Biden made poignant remarks during their visit to the sites of the tragedy.

Previously, concerns about Card’s mental health had been escalating, particularly after a confrontational incident with his Army Reserve unit in New York, leading to his hospitalization at a psychiatric facility.

Back in Maine, the apprehensions persisted, with one reservist even texting a superior about changing security codes and being armed in anticipation of Card’s potential violent actions. Despite these red flags and visits by deputies to Card’s residence, no preventive actions were taken under Maine’s “yellow flag” law.

The sequence of events leading up to the tragedy, especially after law enforcement’s last check-in with Card, remains enigmatic. Alarmingly, the statewide alert for Card was deactivated a week before the tragic events unfolded.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Maine mass shooting

Was Robert Card alive during the manhunt following the Lewiston shootings?

The autopsy results suggest that Robert Card was likely alive for a significant portion of the two-day manhunt that ensued after the Lewiston shootings.

How long did Robert Card survive after the Lewiston shooting incident?

Robert Card is estimated to have died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound roughly eight to 12 hours before his body was found, which means he may have been alive and on the move for over 24 hours post-incident.

Why did law enforcement face criticism after the Lewiston shootings?

Law enforcement was criticized for not finding Robert Card’s body sooner, as it was initially assumed he died shortly after the shootings and that his body was missed during the initial searches.

What did President Jose Biden do in response to the Lewiston shootings?

President Jose Biden, along with the first lady, visited Lewiston to offer condolences and support to the community and the families of the victims of the shootings.

Were there prior concerns about Robert Card’s mental health?

Yes, Robert Card’s mental health had been a concern for months, especially after a disturbing incident involving his Army Reserve unit, which led to his hospitalization at a psychiatric facility.

Did Maine’s “yellow flag” law come into play in Robert Card’s case?

Despite concerns and visits by deputies, Maine’s “yellow flag” law, which allows temporary removal of access to guns, was not enacted in Robert Card’s case.

More about Maine mass shooting

  • Lewiston Mass Shooting Overview
  • Autopsy Report Findings
  • Law Enforcement Response to Maine Shooting
  • Presidential Visit to Lewiston
  • Maine “Yellow Flag” Law Details
  • Army Reservist Mental Health Concerns

You may also like


Grace Anne November 4, 2023 - 12:19 am

Heart goes out to the victims families, Biden’s visit must’ve meant a lot but still so tragic.

John Smith November 4, 2023 - 7:56 am

really shocking that Card was actually on the run for so long, and nobody could find him even with the massive search!

Eddy77 November 4, 2023 - 12:06 pm

there’s gotta be more follow up on these ‘yellow flag’ laws, why have them if they aint used right?

LindaSue November 4, 2023 - 2:00 pm

saw this on the news, it’s just sad.. how did the law not see the signs with all the warnings they had about him.

MarkT November 4, 2023 - 3:19 pm

i don’t get it, why cancel the alert for the guy a week before? seems like a big mistake to me


Leave a Comment


BNB – Big Big News is a news portal that offers the latest news from around the world. BNB – Big Big News focuses on providing readers with the most up-to-date information from the U.S. and abroad, covering a wide range of topics, including politics, sports, entertainment, business, health, and more.

Editors' Picks

Latest News

© 2023 BBN – Big Big News