James Lewis, implicated in the 1982 Tylenol poisonings that resulted in 7 deaths in Chicago, has passed away

by Joshua Brown
0 comment
James Lewis death

The man suspected of the 1982 Tylenol poisonings, which caused the deaths of seven individuals in the Chicago area and ignited a national panic, has passed away, confirmed by police on Monday.

Police officers, firefighters, and EMTs arrived at the scene around 4 p.m. on Sunday, in response to a report of an unresponsive individual. They discovered James Lewis deceased in his residence in Cambridge, Massachusetts, as stated by Cambridge Police Superintendent Frederick Cabral. Lewis was 76 years old at the time of his death, according to the police.

“After an inquiry, it was established that Lewis’ death did not involve any suspicious circumstances,” the police statement read.

Ex-Connecticut Governor Lowell P. Weicker Jr. is being fondly remembered for his unique political approach.
A journalist from Belarus is facing up to 6 years of incarceration for reporting against the government.
Police are intensifying their search for a homicide suspect from Northern California who escaped from a hospital.
Former Indiana attorney general enters the GOP governor’s race following a derailment of his 2020 reelection due to a groping incident.

Despite the tragic loss of seven lives to drugs spiked with cyanide, no one was ever officially charged. Lewis spent over a decade in prison after he sent a blackmail letter to Johnson & Johnson, threatening to continue the killings unless he received a $1 million payoff.

Upon his arrest in 1982, after a nationwide search, Lewis provided investigators with a comprehensive narrative of how the perpetrator could have carried out the act. Lewis subsequently confessed to writing the threatening letter and demanding the funds, but he insisted that he never planned to actually collect the money.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about James Lewis death

Who was James Lewis?

James Lewis was the prime suspect in the 1982 Tylenol poisonings which resulted in the death of seven people in the Chicago area. Despite the grave accusations, he was never formally charged for the crimes. However, Lewis did serve more than 12 years in prison for sending an extortion letter to Johnson & Johnson, demanding $1 million to “stop the killing.”

When and where did James Lewis die?

James Lewis died at his home in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He was found unresponsive around 4 p.m. on a Sunday and was declared dead by the responding authorities.

What was the cause of James Lewis’s death?

The exact cause of James Lewis’s death hasn’t been detailed in the text. However, after an investigation, police have stated that the death was not suspicious.

What happened during the 1982 Tylenol poisonings?

In 1982, seven people in the Chicago area died after consuming Tylenol capsules that had been laced with cyanide. This event triggered a nationwide scare. James Lewis was the main suspect in these poisonings.

Was James Lewis ever charged for the Tylenol poisonings?

No, James Lewis was never officially charged for the Tylenol poisonings. He was, however, imprisoned for over 12 years for sending an extortion note to Johnson & Johnson, in which he demanded $1 million to cease the killings.

What did James Lewis confess to?

Lewis admitted to sending the extortion letter to Johnson & Johnson and demanding the money. He maintained, however, that he never intended to actually collect the funds.

You may also like

Leave a Comment


BNB – Big Big News is a news portal that offers the latest news from around the world. BNB – Big Big News focuses on providing readers with the most up-to-date information from the U.S. and abroad, covering a wide range of topics, including politics, sports, entertainment, business, health, and more.

Editors' Picks

Latest News

© 2023 BBN – Big Big News